Thursday, April 22, 2010

JEAN MICHEL JARRE - EQUINOXE





This album reminds me of my youth. I recall my mother and I driving around at night, tucked in to her white Alfa Romeo Spider on shelter island, blasting a cassette of Jean Michel Jarre's 1978 Equinoxe on the Blaupunkt deck. I love remembering these images and sounds, nigh time humidity and moments, they all come back to me when I listen to this album. It was my introduction to music, aside from Mini Pops, The Smurfs Album, and whatever filtered in from my parents or MTV. I now understand why I have a preference for instrumental Music, especially synthesizer. When I hear analog synthesizer it is is so fulfilling, like electric oxygen or freeze dried soul food. I can't exactly say that I drew imagery from when I would listen to the album, but rather sensing sort of a powerful biological/simple electromagnetic specter, kind of in the form of micro-organism's of various sizes. Only the theory of their energy existing, and creating sound as they move in and out of various schools. I gave verbalizing what I feel a shot, it doesn't make much sense. It might sound like organic energy production and transfer if it could be recorded. However, on Eqinoxe part 8 I clearly remember envisioning a procession of dark wool cloaked babushka like figures all in line slowly walking with torches through a tall grass field like corridor in a deciduous forest. The song sort of has a gipsyeque feel to it I suppose. 20 plus years later I still get that effect from the album. Every time I hear it sounds new to me, and timeless. Thank you Jean Michel Jarre.

No comments:

Post a Comment